Aging gracefully is about looking at each day as an awakening.
How do you perceive aging?
My 80-year-old mother once said, in one of her more physically-challenging moments, “Getting older is the pits!”
I’ve found that you can either choose to dwell on the negatives of the “wear and tear” of your body and what is not working anymore, or you can re-frame it in a more positive way.
In this post, I’m going to share what some of my family and friends say are things they actually like about getting older, and then we’ll discuss tips for fearlessly facing the aging process.
Aging Gracefully, Getting Wiser and Mellow-er
There’s a real wisdom in knowing that there’s more to life than what other people think and what you look like. Here are some things you gain as you age:
1. A real appreciation that life is short and precious.
2. A knowledge that small gestures of love and kindness have huge impacts on people’s lives.
3. A comfort in stating your opinion and speaking up.
4. A sense of comfort in your body as you get older.
5. An understanding of what matters in life.
Plus, for women:
1. As we age, the hormonal fluctuations we experienced during our reproductive cycle subside and we experience fewer migraines and less PMS (premenstrual syndrome).
2. In postmenopausal women, regular exercise will increase bone density.
3. Because density of our breasts decreases, less compression and radiation is needed for an accurate mammography screen.
Healthy Aging, The Art of Aging Gracefully
What are you doing to ensure that you are aging gracefully?
Are you drinking lots of water?
Are you exercising daily?
Are you eating plenty of vegetables and fruits?
Are you getting lots of sleep?
Are you keeping a positive attitude and laughing often?
“If every day is an awakening, you will never grow old. You will just keep growing.” ~ Gail Sheehy
How you can make every day an awakening:
1. Make your family a top priority
2. Participate in religious or spiritual practice
3. Have a social network
4. Take regular vacations
5. Have meaningful goals
6. Become a lifelong learner
7. Laugh often
Here are some tips for aging fearlessly from an article entitled, “On Getting Old: You May Be Aging Gracefully, But Are You Aging Fearlessly?”
1. Accept where you are in the inevitable aging process
2. Maintain proper nutrition and regular exercise
3. Exercise your brain to maintain your memory and mental acuity
4. Maintain meaningful relationships to stay young-at-heart
Aging gracefully depends a lot on your attitude, and it isn’t always easy. Our society constantly points out the negative aspects of the aging process, like pain, mental decline and disability. It all comes down to a choice. You can choose to grow old with grace and acceptance, or you can choose not to. You can choose to believe that growing old is an accomplishment because you survived many physical and psychological threats that many others didn’t.
Rather than denial, choose fearlessness. Aging is inevitable, but your attitude about it can make the difference between un-healthy aging and aging gracefully.
Visit again soon for more tips on Aging Gracefully!
Every Friday, this blog will feature a post by Freedom Freeda about mindset and motivational topics. Online business marketing success is not only about learning internet marketing tips and tricks, it is also about maintaining the right mindset to achieve your goals.
You may also enjoy reading about Midlife Career Change.
Helping You Succeed in Online Business Marketing,
“Inspiring Dreams, Empowering People, Transforming Lives”
© 2012 All rights reserved. Online Business Marketing – Mindset and Motivation – Aging Gracefully