Link building is important for your valuable content to get high search engine ranking. It involves getting other websites to implement links to your site. Links, also called backlinks or hyperlinks, are one of the elements that search engines look for when determining how to rank your site.
So, backlinks are essential for success over the internet if you want high rankings for quality content. This post will define link building and explain why links are important for your website.
The topic of link building is a little technical in nature. So, bare with me, I’ll try to explain everything, but feel to ask questions in the comments if anything is not clear.
A backlink on one website simply points to another website. The basic format of a link is shown in the image below:
From the image above, you see that the key parts of the link are the URL and the anchor text.
Here are some of the factors for
an effective link building strategy:
1. Number of links – for SEO (search engine optimization – getting a high rank on search engines) purposes, the more links you have, the more popular your website appears.
2. Quality and authority of the links – .net and .gov are often authoritative. They usually more trusted than .com sites.
3. Anchor text – this is the keyword or keyword phrase being linked.
4. Variety of the links – the anchor text should vary; you should also use some “click here” links; varying links this way makes them more natural.
5. Velocity of the links – this is how fast you build the links; there must be natural link flow.
6. Ratio of homepage to internal page linking – the preferred ratio is 60%/40%.
In a study done in 2010 by SEOMoz.org, 72 search engine optimization experts were surveyed about what they believed were key components of Google’s ranking algorithm (rules used to rank the different sites).
The exact algorithm is proprietary and Google makes changes all the time (and has certainly made several changes since 2010), but based on the experiences of these experts, the following factors were the most crucial link building:
1. Trust/authority of the host domain – accounted for 20-25% – includes how long the site has been in existence.
2. Link popularity of the specific page – accounted for 20-25% – this applies to each page.
3. Anchor text of external links – accounted for 20% – this is the link text that people use to click to you.
4. On page keyword usage – accounted for 15% – typically density should be 1-3%.
5. Registration/host – accounted for 7% – includes the use of secure, reliable host – these experts have seen sites de-indexed or bumped down in the ranking because they use a hosting company that is not reputable.
6. Traffic and click through rate – this was expected to increase in importance, and it has.
7. Social media metrics – this was expected to be the fastest growing piece in the subsequent 5 years, and it is.
Here are 3 different link building strategies,
in the order of impact:
Link Building Strategy I: One-way, authority links – these come from high PR sites; they are contextual and have keyword-rich, anchor text; plus, the text around the link is relevant to your site.
Source==>You can get these from guest blogging on quality blogs. For more info, check out my post on “Guest Blogging, For Backlinks and Traffic, This Works Like Crazy“.
Link Building Strategy II: One-way links from relevant web pages – these should be from high PR sites; they are contextual and have keyword-rich, anchor text; plus, the text around the link is relevant to your site.
Source==>Web 2.0 pages, like Squidoo.com and HubPages.com, and article marketing are good sources for these links.
Link Building Strategy III: One-way or reciprocal links from lower quality irrelevant sites – these have low PR and may not be relevant to your site; they generally take little time to create.
Source==>You get these from social bookmarking, directories, reciprocal linking schemes, link farms, and forum profiles. Some of these strategies may be detrimental to your search engine ranking. Check out my post about “Google Changes And How They May Impact Your Site“.
Of course, you can mix these strategies as you choose. The first and third strategies have been detailed in previous posts. For more detail on the second strategy for article marketing, check out my post: “Article Marketing Tips That Work“.
Today’s post covered link building tips and explained what backlinks are, why you need them and how you can get them. In tomorrow’s post, we’ll cover using blog commenting and blog networks for link building and the advantages and disadvantages of Web 2.0 link building.
What link building strategies are working for you?
Continue reading “Link Building Strategies For Your Quality Content, Part Two” ==>here.
Visit again soon for more Link Building tips!
If you found this Link Building post valuable, please tell a friend. I love reading comments, and I answer every question personally.
To Our Online Home Business Marketing Success,
“Inspiring Dreams, Empowering People, Transforming Lives”
The secret is automating the on-page, SEO process using this “ninja” plugin, SEOPressor.
This software handles the tedious tasks (grunt work) of analyzing keywords and calculating keyword density, making search engine optimization easy, risk-free and simple. It is exclusive to WordPress users.
© 2012 All rights reserved. Online Home Business Marketing – Link Building